
Yesterday we traveled a few miles south to a farm tour at One Farm. This is two brothers and a girlfriend that started farming after college. We got to know them while we worked at the Farmer's Market last summer. Our tables were next to each other and we grew fascinated with their story and them.
They rent a few acres and have loaded it with features. Their hoop house has a hydroponics area as well as a place for propagating. They have just started a no-till garden, though it is a different type of no-till than what we are starting. The tour was nice, but we didn't get to ask as many questions as we wanted because the tour was quite crowded. We may try to talk to them again at the next Farmers Market. It did give me pause to think about how we are no-tilling.
One thing struck me is the area they have to spread out their beds. With a few different areas they are able to try diverse plantings in separate areas. I sure wish we had bigger areas for such growing plots. The size of their plots also made or allowed them to utilize a tractor and some machinery. I'm still not sure I want to go that route. As I get older I'm sure it will help, but for now our volume will only allow physical manpower to do the bulk of our work. Hopefully, after we get the no-till dialed in, we will need less human power. The bigger area would allow us to have more animals. Our current location limits this.
This ended up being time well spent. I'm still processing ideas and discussions will follow about how to implement things at our urban farm.








No comments:
Post a Comment