Thursday, March 5, 2015

Moral Question/Gender Question

A few days ago I stumbled across what I thought was a moral question, one which Dear Abby had weighed in upon. You're in a women's restroom, there are 3 regular stalls and one disabled stall with a diaper changing table. All stalls are full and you are the first person in line. Second in line is a young mother with an infant in her arms and a second child tugging at her legs, both of which are making some noise. The disabled/childcare stall becomes open and you step aside and wave the mother into the stall. As you do a person in the rear of the line in a wheelchair raises a protest that they should be brought to the head of the line and into the stall. Moral question, what do you think?

After discussing this with my wife and adult daughter, a gender question came to mind. Not having been in a women's restroom with women, I assumed the women would line up as men do. I was informed I was wrong by my wife and daughter. Women line up single file and first in line goes to the first available stall. My experience in men's restrooms is lines form at each individual stall or urinal, much like a grocery store with multiple check-out stands. If you choose a slow line, tough luck.

Am I off here or do men and women line up differently?

No comments: