I'll try to not make this a "life is so busy, I haven't posted in a while" posts. It will be a series of thoughts, though.
It sure is chilly and dry. I notice it most in my hands. After working outside, even with gloves, my hands start to dry out and the skin cracks. That reminds me it's winter. Have to find the hand cream.
Finally collected almost all of the leaves in a big pile. Some previously went into the new compost pile in the from of the yard. Yesterday the rest went into a temporary compost bin made of wire fencing. It's on top of the "slope" in the back yard that was created years ago as an entrance to the back deck. The deck will be gone sometime and the slope and nearby areas will become more growing space for vegi's. This pile is going to be a lasagna style garden with the leaves drowning out the grass, which happens to be mostly dormant at this time.
Most of the back is under transformation. The chicken pens are being "cleaned" up and rejuvenated, as well as better defined. All of the grass will begone, and this is the last of the grass in the entire lot. The pool is coming down. We are currently using the water to water plants. I seemed to be the only one to use the pool last summer and not that often. Actually others used it, but we are converting to a water trough pool. Won't take up as much space, but still able to cool us down on a hot Valley day.
The slab will become a container orchard. We're looking at wine barrels to keep fruit trees in, and arranging them in rows on the slab for our "orchard" of different trees. Should be nice, but could be another oddity in our town.
Baseball is going, and means I'm not home as much. Not bueno.
A picture of Maureen's onion start from the compost.
Mushroom Mac and Cheese
6 days ago


1 comment:
When I lived in Southern CA I had a dozen trees in the whiskey barrels. They worked great for all types of dwarf trees including citrus.
Post a Comment