This next week we have a game, but not enough players to legally start the game. That usually means a forfeit. Sometimes. The reason for the problem? Three players are involved in the Miss Exeter pageant for the annual fall festival. Another player is spending the week at Scicon, a local conservation camp in the foothills near here. Four players down and we don't have the seven to start a game legally. My issue isn't with the week at Scicon, nor the Miss Exeter contest.
What about commitment? A person signs up for something, shouldn't they follow through with the full season? We in education don't do a good job of this, at least lately. Commitment is a untaught action many times.
And least I fail to point out my hypocrisy, I am going to skip the game to be at the Miss Exeter pageant to escort our daughter. Maybe I should have said no to coaching this year.
PS I spent close to an hour tonight after our games in discussions with players and parent about the meanness of players to other players. None of these seem willing to take responsibility for their own actions in this dispute.
PPS Friday and Saturday is going to be spent in Clovis at a water polo tournament. We will be at Buchanan HS Friday and if we win again Saturday. If we lose we will be next door at Alta Sierra Middle School. Last year this was the turning point in our season. We bonded and grew better as a team.
Here's to a repeat.

3 comments:
Keep coaching Coach! On the field as well as in life!!
Thanks, Trey. I appreciate your encouragement.
Good luck to your team. I hope it all works out. People are involved in so many activities nowadays that they forget that others count on them as part of the team effort. Hope it all works out well.
Post a Comment