Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Rain, Rain, Stay a While

We've had a spot of rain in the last day. A little over an inch here in Exeter. Nothing like the 24" in 30 hours we left behind in Atlanta, but still enough to slip and slide on while driving. I'm amazed at the weather reporters and their comment on TV. You would have thought this is about as common as Noah's 40 days and 40 nights. The adjectives used are simply astounding. But the unnatural pauses between words can stop. "You, ,know this storm is, , but a, , shadow of, , storms to come."

Yesterday I spent most of the day in my classroom purging. At the end of the day Wilson helped me take part of a pickup load to the trash in the rain. I mention that because when I asked for Wilson's help, he said "YES, gladly. I'm bored silly." I knew something was up with the quick positive answer, but I don't look a gift hand in the mouth.

The best part of the day was the total restructuring of my room. I am not just purging, I am purging the "19th and 20th centuries" as a friend and colleague guided me in making my choices. I recently received an LCD projector that will be mounted on my ceiling, if it stops leaking. I can use my computer to store the info and still show it to the students as needed. This will change how I present info to the students as well as how the room is structured. I'm trying to open up views of all the white boards, remember chalk boards are early 20th century and cause respiratory problems.

The wonderful part is the letting go of so many things that have cluttered up the room and my mind. I hold on to too many things that hinder me from moving forward. I now am using the cabinets for storing things I use instead of items unused for years. The information and materials that I gathered as far back as 1986 that is covered in dust. Their covered in dust because I don't use them any longer because we think we know better now. The report from the 90's that has been superseded 5 times by newer reports, gone. So much fun.

Next onto my own closet and goods, if I be real strong.

Just for fun look at his gentleman's idea of minimalism.


1 comment:

Jeano said...

Bravo!! We need to do that here at home!!