Sunday, July 19, 2009

Consevationist, Frugal, or Just Plain Cheap?


Cool picture, Maureen. I like the sawdust bits flying in the air.




The pictures involve a repurposing of a friends playhouse into a chicken coop. Wils helped in the latest part of the dismantling.

Also got help from some other friends.

The move from 2 blocks aways is next and that will take more than a few able bodies and weak minds to accomplish.

The next day, yesterday, I spent some time in the side yard cleaning up and preparing for the planting of fruit trees. I moved some old bricks, a clothes drying drum that we used to use as a fire pit/barbecue and other assorted flotsam and jetsam from the past. I realized that the pile of wood and trim and other building materials weren't really going to get used for their original purpose. The cinder blocks and pier blocks and old trellis and bikes and teeter totter and chairs and tree trunks for wood and windows and bed frames and. . . It struck me that my frugal cheapness has become a liability. I grew up going through the scrap pile of building sites, farms and shops for the "fun" stuff. I love to wander down alleys looking for finds. I'm the guy that didn't order food at the restaurant when our children were growing up, knowing that they wouldn't eat all of their meal and I could dine on their leftovers. Still do that occasionally. Can't stand to see things wasted, or just compulsively obsessed?

The side yard I'm cleaning used to be clear of everything except a few shrubs. The neighbor built a fence between the two houses to keep us at bay, and this became a forgotten part of our plot. A great place to hide the assorted detritus of our lives. Except now, there is too much of the stuff and not enough calm.

It would be nice to have a "Free, come and Haul it Away" day, but alas I don't think that will happen. I am looking forward to the ridding of excess and leftover stuff. Now, where do I pile this stuff before it leaves?

No comments: