Sunday, July 26, 2009

Off the Auto Wagon




Somewhat continuing the last post, one of the corollary ideas is related to the cars I choose to drive. I have come to appreciate cars that have character and are paid for. Our current car has windows that are manual, as in take apart the panel and unwind the cable the holds the window in place. Since it is summer the window are down. Things that you value must be locked in the trunk as there is no reason to lock the doors because the windows are semi-permanently down for the time being. That changes this winter when the windows are up and duct taped weather tight.

You can laugh at me or make fun or what ever you want, but the car gets me from point A to B at a rate of 35 miles per gallon. All the legal requirements are being met so the only thing that bothers people is aesthetics. Why do I need a pretty car when an practical car does the same job?

In the vein of Cyrano de Bergerac, I'd rather be remembered for who I was than what I drove.

Better yet, ride a bicycle.

No comments: