Friday, July 31, 2015

Do Over

Last weekend I started a new job. Not a big deal for the most part, but in some ways it was a huge step. As usual I have been overthinking the situation and yet I believe for me this can be a great step forward to live in the past.

When I retired from education we called it retirement for the ease of explaining what we did in conversation. The reality was we were leaving education, education provided a means to stop teaching with its generous pension system, and we realized it was time to change. Now just over a year into this next phase, we find the pension isn't quite doing what we thought it might. We made the decision to have only one income and help our children grow into responsible adults, which they did. This financial shortfall wasn't totally unexpected, and this is not a whine after the fact. What I did expect, and has now happened, is that I would find a job and work for pay again. I know for many of my peers this isn't what the "worked their whole lives for," but for me it's grand.

Look at the situation this way. How many of us; because of family, money, desire, job or age; stop participating in hobbies they did while younger? In my case I'll add a medical condition on top of the other reasons. Now I have a chance to work a job that combines what I like to do with work. Make a bit of money to help the family finances while doing something I enjoy. Win-Win? So far. The living in the mountains, skiing, backpacking type things I used to do can now be restarted.

The reality is some of those things I will do again, some not for different reasons. I now have the patience to live with what I decide, and I am happy with what happens.

The job? I'm a utility person at the local national park. I will be giving directions and selling in a visitor center booth. I will be giving instructions to those about to take a tour. I will be the tail end of some tours, called taiilighting. I will be emptying trashcans and cleaning restrooms. Pretty mundane stuff, but doing it in the mountains with enthusiastic fellow workers. It is just what the doctor ordered.

4 comments:

Lynda said...

Wonderful! I can't wait for your posts on this new adventure! You were too young for retirement anyway!! It took me 4 years of "forced" retirement to find my little job...and it's not my final one...that will be my "perfect" job: baking for our local Farmer's Markets...or camp host at our local State Park on the River: or creating and operating a "mommy's camp" up at Butte Meadows on our acreage at the Cabin...or...do you see a pattern here?

Lynda said...

I just checked and I don't know how you did it, but the blog post of mine you commented on had not been posted...seriously...it was just a draft. I sometimes just hate blogger!!!

What if it's today? - A survivalist's blog said...

What a great job! Next time I have to work in that park on one of our projects I will stop in and see if you are working.

Steve said...

I working weekends at the cave. Lots of science to relearn.