The picture above is Brad and I at Costco. Yes, I'm riding in a motorized shopping cart. Something was going on today and I was getting light-headed a few times this morning. I didn't want to get to the far reaches of Costco and get stranded, so I tried a cart. I had used a wheelchair before, but I have been having no issues recently and even exercising some. This was out of the blue and frankly more than a little humbling. I guess I've been getting a bit prideful in my recovery. I need to slowdown and remember this is a process like a cross country trip, not a race across town to the market.
A few things came to mind during this trip. One of the surprising things to me during the previous wheelchair trip is how nice people were to me in the wheelchair. At times it seemed like the Red Sea parting as I was pushed through the store. People were generous with space and we all left the store that day feeling good about humanity.
Today in the cart there wasn't the generous feeling. It wasn't that people were rude, there was just more hustle and bustle. Maybe that was because it was a very busy Saturday just after payday. There were few smiles on peoples faces. At one point I was sitting, waiting and watching people as they walked by. At least 50 people swarmed by on their way out the door, but no one was smiling. Costco is a fun place for me. Not today. Not with all the people. Not with the temporary setback with recovery.

1 comment:
Costco the day before Superbowl...you were brave! You have plenty of support so use it and take your time with your recovery.
Post a Comment