I was reading one of my daily blog reads, chismheritagefarm.com, and a thought hit me about teaching. The author of the blog was talking about getting up and working on his farm, then going to work fixing computers, then coming home to do more farm work.
As teacher, I rarely had the luxury of leaving work physically and mentally also. Maybe it was me only, but even at home I had a stack of papers hanging over my head that needed grading. Or a pile of wood that needed to be cut for student projects. Maybe that was the curse of being an English teacher. I'm sure that I've had this thought before, but it hit me differently today.
We are in the midst of some household projects. Actually there is a list of projects to finish. They are the leftovers of jobs that I had put off because of lack of time while teaching. Certainly coaching baseball added to the list. January to June is the dead zone of getting projects completed around here because I am gone dawn to dusk chasing the white ball. We would carve out some time to plant the garden or maybe fix something that couldn't wait. Usually the task was added to the list.
One of the benefits of re-jobbing, down sizing your income while leaving one job to find another, is I now have time to complete some of these projects. As well as work on some of the dream projects that one never seems to get accomplished, like setting up a shop.
As wonderful as this might seem, I still ponder one thing. How come I'm not doing more?

No comments:
Post a Comment