Friday, February 7, 2014

What Would You Like Back?

 Last night I spent another wonderful Thursday night with Greg and Jim. They both retired after last year and have included me in their weekly get togethers.  It’s been fun to talk about school with people that have been in the trenches.  They also like to hear about former colleagues and how education is changing. 


What is always refreshing is they bring such a wide range of thoughts and ideas to any subject.  One is a Missouri born former architecture student turned English/Special Ed/Computer Drafting teacher.  The other is a Michigan raised homemade intellectual that is a Humanities and Video savant.  The conversations range all over and include so many topics that to describe the evening is hard. It was just another wonderful night with eclectic friends talking about anything that comes to mind.  

After talking about school, our lives, Sherlock, weather in various parts of the country, Maninism (male version of Feminism) in literature, cars, high school, college, road trips and other assorted topics a question was asked: What have you owned that you wish you had back?

I could only think of two that I would really wish to have back in my possession, and one was mine in name only. Over the years I have owned a variety of guitars that have eventually all been sold off.  When you're in the middle of summer with another month before the next paycheck, guitars are reasonably easy to sell.  And family is a bit more important than something sitting in a case collecting dust.  So off go the Gibson EB-2 bass, a Washburn dreadnought that never felt good, a prototype Takamine archtop jazz guitar that I didn't have an amp for, and a Martin 12 string with a 12 fret neck that the New Christie Minstrels owned at one time.  The one I wish I had back though is a late 70's Guild D-25 bought in Ashland, Oregon.  It had newer tuners and felt and played great, and was just a versatile guitar.

The other Wish Back is amid 80's Toyota 4x4 long bed pickup bought from a colleague that Brad drove until the transfer case needed work and we couldn't afford the repair.  I do wish we had just parked the truck and fixed it later.  But life goes on and someday the Wish Backs hopefully will come back.

No comments: