We came home and eventually started designing our own knife box. We found some leftover plywood and figured we would build the first from it and refine the next few and use solid wood for the box. The plywood ended up being easy to use and pleasant looking as well.
We started with the skewers and measured their length and the longest knife blade's length. We then used those numbers to figure the height of the box. And in typical fashion for me, I calculated the box sizes based upon the size of the plywood piece I had available. Less frugal woodworkers would just buy more wood I suppose.
The sizes were finalized, the plywood was cut to size, and I used a tablesaw to cut dadoes on the bottom piece so the bottom would be recessed into the sides. I also cut the bottom a bit smaller than the outside dimension of the glued together sides. I hope to create an overhang by the sides. I know there is a name for this overhang, but I can't remember it just now.
I was pleasantly surprised at the plies of the plywood showing up in contrasting colors as well as they did. Maureen did a great job with the polyurethane and paint as always. We have many colors in our house and this just adds to them.
The final job was to cut the skewers down in length some as they seemed just seemed a bit tall in the box. We than slipped and stacked them into the box. We lost count, but figure
there are about 16 bags of skewers in the box. Maureen bought out the
stock at Winco, twice, before we filled the box. It is a handy knife
holder, and another fun project from the 'Zoo.





1 comment:
What an interesting idea! I don't have a knife holder for just the reason you noted...you are stuck with the slots that the block comes with and they normally what you need. We use two magnetic strips on the wall to hold the knives but this looks like a good school project when Boy or Girl takes woodshop.
Post a Comment