Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Just a Question

In more than one way, I am the strange teacher on campus. I ride my bike instead of drive a car.  I wear a tie almost every day.  I even wear a sport coat in winter, because I like the pockets.  I recycle the aluminum and plastic my students leave in class.

Probably the strangest habit, and one I stole from a an former vice principal, is to pick up coins on the ground as I walk across campus.  I even have a friendly competition with a student.  You might wonder how this is a big deal, but I "collect" more than even I would have expected.  It started years ago with mostly pennies, but now I get just as much silver and copper.  My best day was $3.32 and I am rarely skunked on a day.

This year I'm doing one of my "social experiments" and saving and counting the amount for the entire year. At Thanksgiving I sat with a younger nephew and we counted out over $23.  I haven't counted lately, but I have started a second vessel to hold the coins.

My question is, What to do with the found money?  We have a Leukemia Foundation program called Pennies for Patients  on campus and I have been donating to that from time to time.  Recently though my thoughts have taken a new direction.  How could this money be used towards our future?  How could I use this to prepare?

The total won't be enough to get the Berkey water filter that we want.  Nor the new shotgun.  Maybe some ammunition, but. . .  Can't afford the GoRuck pack.  We seems to be set on tools and such.  So what could this money be used for?

How would you spend this $30-40 on something lasting and helpful for the future?



1 comment:

What if it's today? - A survivalist's blog said...

I like food. I'd plant a tree or two. Or buy canning lids. Or needles and thread. Or a couple of extra blankets in case you have no heat in your house. Or donate it all.

Any money we find goes into a donation jar. This includes money I find in the wash machine. Last year we donated $52 just from this change jar. Of course it helped the cause along that I left a $20 in my pocket once. That donation hurt because I had to take it out of the washer and put it into the jar knowing the found money was mine!