Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Ties That Hold

Ain't those a pretty set o' legs? They belong to Sean Kelly, a bike racer from the 1960's and 70's. The Tour de France ended this last weekend. I didn't watch or see it. I paid attention to who was winning and such, but not like the past. The other interesting thing about the picture? Duct tape. The tie that binds the world, at least according to Red Green.


This last weekend our oldest, Brad, and I traveled to Mt. Veeder to visit with John, Ashley, Maya, Elias and Maggie. The picture above is of Napa Valley looking east from the Oakville Grade. They live on the other side of the "hill" this picture is taken from. Brad wanted to go wine tasting for the first time. He is one week from moving out to go to Fresno State. So a "Dad and I" Road trip seemed like a great idea. It was a great trip for many reasons. It is always great to see John, Ashley and their family. You know those people in your life that whenever you see them, you go away a better person? That is both John and Ashley. Their children are an absolute hoot to be around. I could go on for days about them. And like I said, I came away a better person.

Brad and I spent more time together than we have in a while, and that was good. I understand my father more now that Brad is moving out. I listened to more Beatles music than I have in the last 20+ years. Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road, Revolver, The White Album. It brought back many memories, not all good and not all bad. We went to some interesting wineries and had a great time. I'll bore you with the details in the future. Brad in a serendipitous moment met Gary Vaynerchuk, the creator of Wine Library TV. Gary lives in New Jersey and is in the family wine business. He created the online Wine Library TV and Brad has been watching and studying there. Brad is a big fan. On Friday, Brad told me that Gary said he would be in Napa for the weekend. Brad mentioned that it would be cool to meet him.

Saturday after Elias' soccer practice we went to lunch. We were on the way to a barbeque place and in the parking lot Elias decided he wanted corn bread and wanted to go to another restaurant in the complex, BarBersQ. All seven of us changed direction, actually only four doors down from where we were intended to go, with a stop at the toy store along the way. Funny how a 4 year old's mind works. During lunch we were eating good food and having good conversation; I like children and given that the children are just learning to communicate makes it fun. I looked over at one point and saw Brad stiffen, turn in his seat, and stand up to say hi to one of three young men that just walked in the door. I thought it was someone he knew from school or such. It was Gary Vaynerchuk! Brad introduced himself and said he really liked the show, a big understatement. Everyone was introduced and it was mentioned that John worked in the wine industry and he and Gary talked. Brad got Gary's autograph. It was one of those moments that can't be scripted. If you see this in a movie you'd think, "Well, it's a movie, anything can happen." It wasn't a movie. It was a small, or big, detail in a few people's life. It was a huge detail to Brad.

Later that day we were tasting at a winery and a young lady (everyone is young when you are post 50) approached me and asked if I was from Exeter, New Hampshire. Sorry, I said; Exeter, California. She said she was from Exeter, NH and studying at CAL. Her fiance is also at CAL studying evolution of insects in Hawai'i. He and John started talking about insects and people in that field they both knew.

A boy eats corn bread he likes. A young man meets a person he admires from the internet. Two people from two small towns with the same name a continent apart talk about the similarities of those towns. The biology of bugs and the expert two people know. Who'd a thought they could've met in a valley in Northern California in late July. Who'd a thought it would make each of them happy for a moment. Some One stronger than duct tape, that's who.

No comments: