Sunday, February 28, 2016

Black Swan, or Changes are a'Comin'

I've heard and read some things that surprised me, but shouldn't have. Two stories from the radio got me thinking. I guess there is an online award pointing out and making fun of people that do something that shows their sense of entitlement. The first is from 2012 when a woman won the Michigan Lottery for $1 million dollars, and continued to receive state aid of $200 a month. She was surprised when asked if she thought it wrong for her to receive the aid. She said no, she had bills to pay and food to buy. It was pointed out that she had just won $1 million to which she said, I got only $700,000 and things cost money. I guess she won the 2012 award for Entitlement.

The second story to come from radio listening is the recent story out of San Francisco of the woman that was offered a job by Yelp!, accepted the job, then wrote a letter to the CEO criticizing her pay and bemoaning that she can't buy food and lives on the lunchroom crackers. She was fired within two hours of posting the letter at work.

The last story is from Missouri where Dr. Melissa Click has been fired and charged with misdemeanor assault. She is the former professor that, during a on campus demonstration, told a student journalist to leave and called for "muscle" to help her remove the student.

What strikes me about these three stories is what used to pass for common sense seems to have won out. People doing stupid or mean things, or someone that has their priorities out of whack is handed some justice. Hope these are not Black Swan moments.

3 comments:

WhatIfWeAllCared? said...

Awful lot of people feeling entitled . . . awful lot more worried about what everyone else is doing . . .

Lynda said...

I had a young mother scream at me because her child did not qualify for the free lunch program last year. She posted on Facebook with her I-Phone 6 what a b_tch I was. She had $100 fingernails, $100+hair extensions and was driving a brand new $60,000+ Dodge Ram Truck and those damn $150 Miss Me Jeans. Really? AND I was disciplined for not being sympathetic when I tried to explain the criteria for the free lunch program...I WAS TOLD I WAS RUDE. Thank goodness we have a video camera in our lunch room...it showed her throwing the application in my face and all the "nice" things she called me. BUT my Department Head nor my Superintendent apologized to me for attempting to write me up! It was all very strange...AND very, very common with our young mothers. AND their children are all perfect angels that don't do anything wrong.

Steve said...

Lynda,

For some reasons schools seem to have a backwards sense of right and wrong. The school should be the place where common sense rules. My last year I was disciplined when a student threatened to run me over because I took his phone during class as he was ordering lunch.