Friday, November 27, 2015

Happy Thanksgiving & a McPhee Book Review

It may be a cliche, but I have much to be thankful for with family and friends heading that list. Thankful for a house, food and a job when I need one.

I am also thankful I discovered John McPhee. Brother-in-law K got me started years ago and I've just kept reading his stories and books. This on, Pieces of the Frame, is a collection of articles is a typical McPhee mix of topics all written about in a way that makes you interested in what will happen next.

The topics start in Georgia with two people in the wildlife service picking up roadkill and using the roadkill for food and science. We go to Atlantic City in search of Marvin Gardens, the real street named such. along the way we learn of the game Monopoly. We meet a real live member of the McBeth family and learn how Birnam Wood did move. Professional tennis, firewood the Head park Ranger and quarter horse racing are also written about.

You may or may not be interested in these subjects, but the wonderful thing McPhee does is draw you into the people of each story and there is where you get hooked. These people are just like you and me, but McPhee makes them special.

No comments: