Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Ya Hoo!

5 May 2015, or Cinco de Mayo in some parts of the country. Contrary to what many people believe, Cinco de Mayo is not celebrating the Independence of Mexico, that is 16 September. It celebrates the victory of a group of Mexicans over the French at Puebla, a battle in which the Mexicans were greatly outnumbered.

Today I am celebrating life. Six months ago my heart and brain were stopped for hours as the doctors, PAs and nurses repaired some plumbing issues with my heart. Around noon on 5 November I was given an IV and fell asleep. I sort of woke up ten hours later and began an often strange train ride to recovery that couldn't have happened without the help of family (Garvers, Derrs and Kelloggs), Dr. Woo and the staff of the Stanford Medical Center, my local cardiologist Dr. Gupta, friends too many to name and the community I live in. Thank you all!


No comments: