Saturday, December 7, 2013

What If?

What if you know the end of something is coming, but you don't know exactly when?  How do you act?  Some things in my life are definitely going to change in the next year and I have been thinking through how to end them.  I will have some control as to how they go down.  Those things happen and I will deal with them.  It is a part of life to go through times like this.

But I am now wondering if I should bump them forward in time so as to have more control of the situation?   A situation that we will have little control of when it happens.  Trying not to be a fearful reactionary, I read economic forecasts and can't help but think a catastrophe is in the future.  How do we react?

Sorry, I have no answers. But I will try to become more self reliant and minimize needs.  It will be an adventure.

3 comments:

What if it's today? - A survivalist's blog said...

Interesting topic to ponder. Since I made a drastic work change one year ago I'll tell you a little about how it's affected my year. First, I liked the prior job but the pay wasn't great and for my last few years of working I wanted great pay. So I chose great pay. This job is tough. Not physically but mentally. That's not bad, just my brain isn't used to continuous challenge. Second are the hours. Much longer. Less time at home, for fun or chores. Less leisure time. But more money which has taken away all financial stress. Was it worth the change. Yes, because I know it's only going to last for four more years...unless the world changes dramatically before then.
Our company just went to layoffs and I did have the option of getting about 6 months salary and unemployment if I chose to leave or if they laid me off. It was very tempting to volunteer to leave. I almost did it. But I changed my mind because MY plan is to work this job for 5 years. I decided to follow my plan. If the company had a different plan then so be it, I would have ended up doing something else.
So I guess what I'm saying is you need to figure out what YOUR plan is. Stick to it. As long as your plan has a backup plan (all your what ifs)then if "they" mess up your plan it's not a disaster but a new adventure.

Steve said...

You're correct about sticking to your plan. I was reading a forecast of bad economic times that would start 6 months ahead of a milestone in our plans. It could deliver our plans a big blow if true, but there is no way to know if the forecast will be true. Basically I got a bit tense.

Thanks for the reminder to breathe and think before "jumping."

Lynda said...

I took a job a couple years ago to clean up some pesky credit card debt. Now I'm juggling with the idea of staying or quitting. I love being home and working in the garden, orchards, kitchen and with the livestock...all have taken a backseat to the JOB. I still do it all, I just don't enjoy it as much. LOVE the security of the $$ and the long term "stuff" I can now afford...but to get the full benefit of the JOB I'll need to work another 3 years: yuck! We'll see.