We at school were given a taste of the new Common Core style testing this past week. The teaching staff were herded into the computer lab and given either a Math or English version of a Common Core test facsimile. English and Social Science teachers were told to take the Math test, and the Math and Science teacher were to take the English test. I chose the 7th grade Math test because I am in none of the above mentioned departments. Now remember this is from a company that prepared this test to help students prepare for the test. It is not a version of the Common Core test.
The test itself wasn't difficult, but the logistics were. Most questions asked for multiple answers from a bank of 8 potential answers. Seemed like a multiple choice test to me. I had no place on the test to "figure" out the problem and no paper to work on. Supposedly there will be scratch paper that will have to be collected by proctors, but having to work out the problems in my head certainly slowed me down. I eventually resorted to shortcuts to get the answers instead of solving the problem.
The real Common Core test is a flexible test. Chose correct answers and the questions get harder. Miss and they get easier. I didn't notice a difference. The other thing is if you are answering randomly "dot to dot" the computer will prompt you to return and review previous questions. My neighbor found that out.
In general the room was filled with frustrated teachers, and the idea was for us to get an idea of what our students will go through. To me the frustration was not with the questions, but how I was tested. I knew the material; how the question was asked is what bothered me. I again was left with the feeling that our testing methods can't measure what they say it will measure. Some students will do well and some not. I don't think the test will truly quantify which students know the information and which don't.
So I am left with the continual question, Why are we testing? Is it to understand the student better and help them learn? Or is it to help testing and curriculum companies make money?
Mushroom Mac and Cheese
6 days ago

1 comment:
$$$
Post a Comment