Monday, November 12, 2012

Two Questions for Those that Read this Blog Space



Just a pic of my Halloween costume as Sergio Romo.

First question: What is a book you are recommending to others?  Now that I have time I'm looking ot add books to my list of books to read, not that I need many more to add.

Question 2:  Maureen and I have planted, cared for and harvested a garden for some time.  Though it sounds wonderful, I remember reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle with a bit of envy of not having a crop during the winter. Does anyone have anything to offer on this topic?  Is there something good about having a season off?  Or is the blessing of a moderate climate outweigh the extra work?

5 comments:

What if it's today? - A survivalist's blog said...

During winter I only have plants that I don't have to attend to. I throw down the seeds for broccoli, root crops, lettuce, etc. What grows, grows. At our house the garden gets muddy so we don't want to go out into it too often to really tend the crops. Now if the need arose that winter crops were necessary, you'd bet I'd be tending a full load of vegetables.

Haven't read anything for fun lately. Just finished Wildland Fire in Ecosystems. Volumes 3, 4, and 6.

Steve said...

How about your asparagus? Our plants are tall (4"). Do we need to cut them down so the new spears can sprout?

What if it's today? - A survivalist's blog said...

Wait until they die back in the winter (no green on them at all), then cut them down to the ground. The new spears will sprout whether you cut these down or not. If you cut them now and we get any type of warm spell the plant will send up new spears. If you want to try for some asparagus for Christmas then cut them down now. It will stress them but you have good roots so it won't kill them. If you got red berries those are seeds. Scatter them along a fence line if you want more plants.

Steve said...

I think he means 4' (feet) tall and yes they are still green....mostly.

Steve said...

...and thanks for the advice Linda.

Maureen