
This past summer I was looking for a book, Living the Good Life by Scott and Helen Nearing. I was in northern CA and couldn't find it. While looking in a used bookstore I came upon The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane. I had in the long ago past read some of his short stories in Outside magazine and had pleasant memories of his writing. The price was right and we needed to get up the hill to rest before another day of grape pruning.
This book is a collection of non-fiction stories about fishing and people that fish, specifically fly fishing. I used to carry a fishing pole when backpacking and would throw in a lure from time to time. I in no way consider myself a fisherman, but in the last few years have considered starting. Probably it started with romantic visions of a smartly dressed fisherman in plaid from a Filson webpage. The reality is I like the taste of fish and especially fish tacos. I figure I should at least make an effort to catch the fish I eat in my tacos. Especially living near a good source of fish, I should take advantage of local resources.
The book seems to be a progression of McGuane's fishing life. Stories of his childhood adventures give way to fishing in Ireland. While living in San Francisco during the 60's, he tells stories of the competitive fly fisherman in Golden Gate Park. He progresses through the West Coast fishing of Oregon and Washington to the rivers in Montana and British Columbia. Eventually we are treated tales of Argentina and Northern Europe as well as the Florida Keys. One might get the idea this is another "look where I've been" book, but that would be a false judgement.
McGuane has a pleasant, calm voice with a twist that comes through like a fellow sitting near a fire sharing stories with long-time friends. The title comes from the story of the same name, and gives a clue to the beauty of this book. "What is most emphatic in angling is made so by the long silences — the unproductive periods." These stories aren't just about the fishing. The silences and dead spots between catching fish are like the time between notes of music. The silences allow the mind to ponder and guess about life. McGuane shares those moments with the reader. We are given glimpses of different people that are fishermen, but it is their character and qualities that are important. The fishing brings out these attributes of their humanity.
Maybe it says more about here my thoughts lie at this time, but I enjoyed reading about the pondering silences. I enjoyed the manner in which McGuane transported me to rivers I will never fish and allow me to be with him. I laughed at his humor and felt respect for fish and man.
Here is a example of the twist in his writing. Any parent will have had a moment like this, though probably not with these elements. From the story "Wesley's River" in The Longest Silence by Thomas McGuane.
"Recently, and among people we didn't know that well, my eleven-year-old daughter said something that made jaws drop. Having heard the phrase "the F-word," possibly from a potty-mouthed sibling, and assuming in our house that it must mean fishing, she told a group of guests, "All my dad cares about in the F-word." In the astonished silence that followed this showstopper, she added, "When he's not doing it, he's reading about it."
I certainly will be looking for more reading from McGuane.

No comments:
Post a Comment