Saturday, March 27, 2010

What If. . .



I spent yesterday on an interview panel for our school's Senior Exit Interview. This is a process that we started about 8-10 years ago to prepare our graduates for the "Real World." They must prepare a portfolio with introductory letter, references, resume and work samples. They must also give a 3-5 minute speech about a learning experience during their high school years and answer some questions from a panel of three. I have always enjoyed seeing our students in a new way and I'm always surprised by some that burst from their shy bubble to show off some skills. Yesterday was no exception.

I also enjoy hearing about our own children and how they complete this project. As a parent we go through the anguish of listening to the belly-aching at home, but rarely get to see the end "public" product. As an insider I get to at least hear how the offspring do. Yesterday was another example of much gnashing of teeth at home and a wonderful performance at school by Wils.

During the day I had a conversation with another participant that caught me off guard and saddened me. The person asked if I had heard that the US of A now has more oil reserves in North and South Dakota than the Saudis and other countries of the Middle East. "Good, light oil like the Saudis, and it will last at least a thousand years."

I am saddened that we now don't have to confront our need to change. Much like a heroin addict that finds a $20 on the ground, or a parent that bails out a child's overdraft charges.

No comments: