Then on to TJ's/WF and a strange phenomenon. Does anybody else have teen/early 20's young men that relish a trip to the market? They get a cart and off they go. Yesterday's special was Gogi berry/Antioxidant/detoxing jucies. A four pak was cheaper than the chocolate covered macau nibs. $4 a packet times the twenty we ended up with adds up. The conversation went something along the lines of, "Hey, I want some of those." "Hey, I want some too." "Hey, where did you find those?" When Maureen heard the total and started checking the reciept she exclaimed, "Why all the nibs?"
After the TJ's/WF shopping, with a stop at Guitar Center which is near TJ's, we traveled to Clovis North High School where Brad is coaching swimming this spring. Nice facility. Great baseball field and pools. Yes, pools. Two 25 yard by 50 meter pools. Probably $2+ million apiece. Facilities are important in Clovis Unified. After the outfield debacle we have been dealing with here in Exeter, to look on a green and flat outfield was pleasent and made me envious.
Overall a great day with Brad.
Baseball in in bloom and we had 4 games last week and five this week. We won one we shouldn't have, never really mentally showed up for one and lost, and won two big that we should have. Wils is hitting well and has pitched once. He looks to be the pitcher that could be overlooked, but always gives a good performance. This week will be a test. We are in two tournaments and they overlap a bit.

4 comments:
I dream of the day a Trader Joe's and/or Whole Food Market opens up here in Hattiesburg. The closest one is 60 miles away!
Totally off subject...I'm interested to know your opinion of year 'round school. For or against?
Julie,
For older students I think year round in not good. I think they should be picking fruit or other manual labor. Not that they are bad, just they teach some that there is something else besides manual labor. I knew I was going to college by digging a ditch by hand starting at 96 degrees at 10:00 am. The job was done when I finished later at 105 degrees.
Do you think life is unfair? Dig a ditch. By hand. 4 feet deep.
Julie,
I apologize, I didn't really answer your question. Year round school is really about optimizing the school facility. Not a bad thing by itself. It sure messes us traditional family vacations and such, but if your family can arrange it, vacations when no one else is going is great. With our children's sports and activities, that wasn't much of an option for us.
I think some children benefit from year round. If there is little family going on, then it helps. With your family, it may be minimal.
For older students/teens, the shorter summers make it harder to get jobs, along with child labor laws. Our children have been also involved in summer sports as a lead in to during the school sports. The boys have been blessed with an uncle and aunt that can hire them to work in their vineyard. Hard, hot labor makes school seem easy. And they appreciate what they have and what it takes to earn it. I don't now if Maureen has said, but we have a 22 year old, a 20 year old and 17 year old boys. Our daughter is 15 going on 25. We are just farther along the path you are on.
Out Whole Foods/Traders Joe's is 60 miles away also. That is why we make it once a month and it happens to be where our oldest is going to college.
Hope this helps.
Interesting...I'm a fan of year round school mostly because of the learning curve. It seems to me that intervention with students who are having difficulty is more successful if a student learns in blocks with shorter break periods in-between. I realize there are issues with child care, jobs, sports, etc. On the flip side, there are also issues with the amount of free time kids have during the school year with lots of breaks and no supervision.
Post a Comment