Monday, February 2, 2009

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights


Can you name the singer of that ode?

I was reading essays last night after the Super Bowl and came across a gem. The students in my classes are not the honors/Advanced Placement type of students. They are the down-to-earth people that make this town and world work. Standard English is not always their first language, and that especially includes the Anglo-Saxon bred kids with eight generations of ancestors having lived on this side of the pond.

So as I was wading through a district mandated essay about whether security fences make the students feel safer or not, I stumbled upon the reason for my existence. "Yet another reason why fences are malignant to the school is because they are inconvenient. Sometimes students are a couple minutes late and the gates are closed so they have to go through the office. All of that just wastes time that you could of been wasting in class learning."

I feel wonderful that a student has finally figured out what my job entails.




Trivia answer--Freddie Fender

6 comments:

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

I think I told you the story of our Michael. He was kind of coming to the conclusion that he may not want to be a teacher after all. I asked him why and he said, "I'm really don't like being up in front of people." So the 12 years of high school never reveal that about a teacher, eh? What a funny guy!

BTW, I knew it was Freddie Fender. So, is that good or is that bad?

Julie said...

Ha! Did the student get points for using "malignant" in the sentence? That's not a word you use every day! :)

Nancy Winningham said...

I got the answer!!! - oh, ou posted it. darn.
Anyway, I think that must have been one of my former students.:-)

vinesearch said...

Is that student a Derr

Steve said...

Mike,

Most teachers have dream/nightmares about standing in from of class naked or with some bit of clothing not closed. I'll let you imagine which has really happened to me.

Tell Michael he's normal. You get used to being in front.

Mike and Nancy,
Knowing the answer just means we're "seasoned." I recently had to sign a document acknowledging I am 4th on the seniority list. Yippee! And two above me will retire soon; the other is a former roommate.

Julie,
Malignant was a Vocab word from the previous week. So yes, they do get bonus points.

John,

Not a Derr, but the Garver kids that have been in my classes as a Teacher's Aide like to tell their siblings stories around the dinner table. Usually something like the story I posted.

Thank you all for making this seasoned teacher feel normal.

steve