
If you consider yourself even mildly-read, you know, read even a mite more than the normal human, what five or ten books would you recommend to your child? Our children see Maureen and I read, and once in a while ask for advice on a good read. Then again, when they have to read a book for a book report, they really come for advice. So post your Great books. Here are mine in no particular order. Please excuse the Anglo-Saxon bent, but you have to admit these are good.
The Bible--It may not be politically correct, but it has Everything. Everything.
The Razor's Edge-W. Somerset Maugham--The Lost Generation explained better than Hemingway. And with a point. And I like Hemingway.
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance-Robert Pirsig--You should read this once every 10 years of your life. Meaning. Quality!
To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee--What book can you read over two dozen times and still learn something? And still cry at the ending the 25th time? Which of us hasn't lost our innocence?
Lord of the Flies-William Golding--We really are all evil inside. What keeps us acting good?
Cyrano de Bergerac-Edmond Rostand--What is beautiful? What is good? What is important?
Romeo and Juliet--You could argue that Macbeth or Hamlet would represent the Bard better but remember, All you need is Love. Who would You die for?
I am forgetting so many that I am embarrassed, but these would keep you tied up reading for a while. By that time I will have another list.

No comments:
Post a Comment