Today I got to help a friend with a beam raising. It wasn't unlike an Amish barn raising, at least what I've seen in movies. Many friends helping another friend raise something. Thank you, Mr. C. To my sons it was another work thing Dad took us to, except they drink beer after the job is done and everything is up straight.
This made me think of things and I got to thinking of things that I appreciate. I wrote earlier about things I am thankful for, but this is about things I like, have liked for a longer time period and can appreciate.
James Taylor--I recently bought his latest cd, One Man Band. I first heard JT in junior high and I become more fascinated each time. His story telling is superb. His variety is incredible. Pop, jazz, classics. For a recovered heroin addict, his voice is remarkable. Stories of our time. And we share the same birthday.
Helping friends--Wish I had more time. Maybe when I retire from public service I can serve others.
Bicycles--A frosty morning quietly moving along, pedaling one speed, one pedal at a time. If that doesn't make you feel alive, you need paddles.
The Bible--What stories! War, famine, human endeavors and desires. WISDOM. Read it to learn how things have been done, good and bad. Name another single book that can do that.
John McPhee--New England writer. He can turn geology into the stuff you yearn to read. And birchbark canoes and Druids and oranges and shad and headmasters. I hope to live long enough to read all of his books.
Pat Metheny--He does things with a guitar that makes me want to listen more.
Wood baseball bats, hand planes, hammer, fixed gear bike.--Skill not technology. Old guys do rule. Or rather; Old, skilled guys rule.
More to come.
Halaszle, Hungarian Fish Soup
3 days ago

1 comment:
great post... about good friends and a good life!
Post a Comment